Its probably the endorphins talking, I’ve just been for a run, but I want to share some important thoughts I’ve had lately. It’s more a consolidation of thoughts really, none unique to me but an assemblage of good advice proffered by the current vogue of motivators active in the social media sphere whom I listen to daily. Do I live these points? Not always, but I’m trying.
1. Don’t compare yourself to others, compare yourself to your past self and who you want to be in the future.
2. Think big. A small sacrifice today will be paid for in the future by patience, preparation and compound interest. Society is founded on this principle.
3. Get after it. Life isn’t waiting for the right time to offer you opportunities, you have to get out of bed and go get them. Now.
4. Move, quickly and often.
5. Take responsibility for everything in your life. Be honest with yourself and to others. Own your choices and your conduct. Excuses are lies to your soul.
6. Treat yourself like someone you respect. Take responsibility but don’t beat yourself up for being human. Accept your failures and flaws and forgive them in yourself like you accept them in others.
7. Don’t take everything so damned personally. It’s not all about you. No one cares as much as you think they do. In a day, a week, a month, a year, none of it will matter, so let it go.
8. Integrity is everything. Garner respect through your virtues, you can’t make people like you, it is earned. Be truthful, be honourable. Nothing is worth compromising these values for.
9. Be kind to your family. They are closest to you so see the good, the bad and the ugly. But they still love you through all of it. Honour them by being the person you want other people to see. Nothing is an act, nothing is a rehearsal, it is all real, all the time.
10. Listen first. Let others express themselves. Think. Pause. Reflect. Then if you have something worth saying, say it. If not, then shut the fuck up.